Tuesday, May 09, 2006


Too Many Irons in the Fire?

A few months ago, I had no jobs now I may have three. I told you that the hours at the software company were spotty. I wasn't expecting to work at all this week, but D called me today and asked me to work the rest of the week. He also said they really want to put me on a regular schedule, which would definitely help with the possible upcoming gig at Penneys. Yesterday I contacted an ad agency I did a fill-in emergency job for last fall. They offered me a part-time job this past winter about the same time the software company did. I turned them down at the time because, I really wanted to work at the software company, and the agency was further away from home. I called MB at the agency to see if they had anything, not really expecting much. He e-mailed me this morning, telling me that he might have something for me next week. I'm hoping I can juggle all of this. Although if something had to give, the retail job would be the first to go. It pays half what the design jobs do.

At least I got the nice part of the week off. Yesterday and today the weather was gorgeous. Yesterday I went shopping for the house: porch floor paint, patchmaster for the lawn, shower curtains, drinking glasses, and cedar blocks for winter clothes storage. Then I headed out to the lake for a walk; it was just perfect. Today was the same but even warmer.

I would have gone to the lake again today, but my husband strongly suggested I check out the Adelaide Alsop Robineau exhibit at the Everson. The show closes on May 21 so I knew if I didn't go now, I'd probably miss it. It was a tremendous show. Robineau is best known for her painstakingly incised porcelain pieces, such as "Apotheosis of the Toiler" (shown) also referred to as The Scarab Vase. I found her glazes were truly remarkable. There was a vase with an electric turquoise glaze that seemed to radiate. If she had excelled in either the incising OR the glazes, she would have been regarded as a great ceramist, but to have mastered BOTH just blows me away. As Elbert Hubbard, the founder of the Roycroft Community once said, "The love you liberate in your work is the only love you keep." I really felt the love at the Robineau exhibition.

No comments: